Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Easy, Healthy & Yummy!

So I have been watching all the chefs on Food Network use fennel in their recipes but I had yet to try it myself...so corn salad with fennel was my first attempt and I loved it! It has the most unique taste, you gotta try it! I paired it with pan seared cod with a cilantro pesto, a perfect spring-time meal!

CORN SALAD
Ingredients
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 fennel bulb, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
1/4 cup canola oil
Directions
In a large serving bowl, toss together the corn, apples, fennel, and onion. (Reserve 1 cup of the mixture for the Corn Puddings recipe.) Add the parsley and cumin and season with salt and pepper, to taste. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, and oil. (Reserve 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette for the Round 2 Salad recipe.) Add the dressing to the vegetables and toss well to coat.

2 comments:

Lulu said...

I have never had fennel, I don't even think I know what it is. And I NEED to start trying more fish. Mike loves fish and so far I only really enjoy it raw, but your cod sounds really good. Unfortunately it always sounds good but I usually like the idea of it better than the actual taste. Damnit though if I can turn my opinion on green beans and asparagus I CAN like fish too!

Kris10 said...

Just stick with the mild white fishes, cod is a good place to start, I bet you will like it...just make a good sauce or relish to go on it and you will be good to go!