Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Quick Mole Sauce

I have always wanted to make mole sauce but it's quite a process and a traditional sauce contains quite a few different peppers and spices...so I was very happy to come across a very simple sauce in a magazine and I gave it a try for dinner tonight! Chris and I were both very surprised with how the sauce turned out, for a simplified mole sauce it was pretty darn good and it couldn't have been easier to make! On the side I pan fried chicken thighs and shredded the meat up and tossed it in with the sauce. I served the meat on top of white rice and made a corn and zucchini saute on the side. This meat would be just as good though in a taco or as an enchilada filling, yum!

Mole Sauce Ingredients:
1 tbsp canola oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
1 tbsp almond butter or peanut butter
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds

Heat up skillet to medium heat. Add the oil, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and salt. Cook, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomato sauce, broth, chocolate chips and almond or peanut butter; stir to combine. Bring to a simmer. Throw in chicken and mix sauce and chicken together and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

4 comments:

Lulu said...

I have also wanted to try a mole sauce. I don't even know if I have ever eaten one though let alone made one. This one looks simple and most of these ingredients I have on hand. I think I will make that this weekend, thanks for the post!

Kris10 said...

You guys will like it, it was very good and had a lot of flavor with few ingredients, let me know what you think!

The Tibbs' said...

I was first reading about Mole sauce and was shocked to see you were able to eat something spicy while pregnant... (I can't!) but then quickly saw that it was just the chile powder (which I probably would still have to adjust prego...). It sounds yummy and I like the idea of a corn zucchini saute. Can we come over for dinner? Yum! Happy Mother's Day! I hope that you get a fabulous foot rub or something! Kiss, kiss, from mom to mom!

Lulu said...

I made this Saturday and I can attest that it was not spicy but it was certainly delicious and super easy. We grilled a pork tenderloin and made tacos with the sauce and it was spot on. We will definitely make it again.